All Saints Church Gresford
Tel: 01978 852236
| || ||Welcome!||News||About||Features||Bells||Organ|| || |
The earliest record of the bells is to be found in the parish register commencing 1714 The note is as follows:
"On Friday the 8th day of December, in the year 1775, the tenor third and treble bells were returned being recast at Gloucester"
An article in the parish magazine for February 1873 lists six
It is possible that the tenor bell of 1775 was replaced in 1836 by two bells thereby increasing the number from five to six. An entry in the Churchwardens' books suggests an increase was made but the dates are not clear.
In 1875 the tenor bell was found to be cracked and the two oldest bells were so badly damaged that they needed to be replaced. In addition to replacing the damaged bells two smaller bells were cast to make a ring of eight.
The bells are inscribed:
Following the augmentation of the bells to eight in I875, a note in the parish magazine of December 1876 appealed for additional contributions to cover the cost of the glazing of the windows in the tower, the replacement of the clock and the installation of a chiming apparatus.
The magazine for April 1877 reported that an apparatus had been put in the belfry by which all eight bells could be chimed by one person. This is used to chime the bells for services when it is not possible to assemble enough people to ring them.
Using the chimes it is possible to ring hymn tunes and carols.
The last major refurbishment of the bells was carried out by Mears and Stainbank in 1954. It was then that the old wooden headstocks were removed and the "crowns" cut off the bells. The headstocks were replaced with cast iron and the bells were rehung on ball bearings which had been fitted in 1937. The only bell remaining with its original crown and a wooden headstock is the "Parsons" or "Prayer" bell which is inscribed "GOD SAVE HIS CHURCH "
The weight of the tenor bell is estimated to be 1.2 tonnes (24 cwt). The total weight of the bells is approximately 4.7 tonnes The oak bell frame in which the bells are hung was installed in 1884.
The details of the bells are as follows:
In January 2006 work was completed on the installation of four additional bells which were installed in the tower by Eayre & Smith Limited. Theses bells being much lighter than famous eight bells, have enabled young children from the village to learn to handle a bell and join the band of ringers.
The details of the newer bells are as follows:
The light bells have been so successful that an order has ben placed with Taylors of Loughborough for the installation of another two bells to create an independent ring of six bells. These will hopefully be installed in the summer of 2013
Striking Competition 2013.
On Tuesday 4th June a band from Gresford tower competed in the Striking competetion of the Wrexham Branch of the North Wales Association of Bell Ringers. The competition was held in Chirk Tower. Congratulations to the team from Gresford who won the competetion!